Sunday 12 June 2011

My L. N. Fowler Phrenology Head



Phrenology: n. chiefly historical 
the detailed study of the shape and size of the cranium as a supposed indication of character and mental abilities

I love my quirky, little phrenology head, which we found in a huge antique store on the highway in a small town in the very centre of Tasmania.  I regrettably left it behind as I didn't want it breaking in my luggage enroute, but my husband got in touch with the store after we arrived home and had it shipped to Queensland as a surprise present for me. Hurrah!

The base reads:
For thirty years I have studied Crania and living heads from all parts of the world, and have found in every instance that there is a perfect correspondence between the confirmation of the healthy skull of an individual and his known characteristics.  To make my observations available I have prepared a Bust of superior form and marked the divisions of the Organs in accordance with my researches and varied experience.  L. N. Fowler

PS. it's amazing how many times I have spied phrenology heads in the background of movie and sitcom sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment