Tuesday 22 April 2014

World War I - Mail Art Project

These are some little postcard sized artworks I have been working on as part of a mail art project centred on the centenary of World War I, organised by UK artist Theresa Easton entitled
WWI Trench & Folk Art.


 




For my part I have been investigating ways of showing how the war effected and interrupted the personal lives of ordinary people and how imperialism and geographical distance played a huge part in Australia's involvement in the conflict.





2 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful story to be telling .... I too am involved in a WW1 project though I have not yet started with work. I have in my mind and that is often half the battle. I am fairly staggered by the statistics you quote in this last image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, Helen Malone was telling me about your little project and sent me some information about it. A rather special project to be involved in, I think.
    The figure I quoted is the number of those serving in WWI. The other WWI figures I found (in a 1st edition Readers Digest Complete Atlas of Australia - published in 1968) are: 59342 killed and 152171 injured! Another statistic I find staggering is that of the Australian horses - of the 136000 walers shipped for service in WWI only 1 was returned to Australia after the war.

    ReplyDelete